Madame Muse Design

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Life aloft - making the most of your attic space

I bought my charming petite cottage 3 years ago - it was love at first sight! Its architecture was so inviting, lots of old true-divided-light windows, antique brick, a rounded top front door, and a steeply pitched roof line. I've been daydreaming about how I was going to finish out the glorious attic space created by the steep roof from the moment I moved in...

Above the gloss white paint really bounces the light from the skylights around the room and gets its feeling of warmth from the rich leather and wood hues from the furnishings. I'm a big believer in playing up exposed beams to give a room depth and interest.


With the generous roof style of the dutch colonial above the approaches become more plentiful. I adore the nook that the window dormer creates for the bed - how cozy!


Using an end wall as an accent is fun and gives the above room an anchoring focal point. I love the vertical movement in the wallpaper, it plays up the room's height nicely.


How you get there is as important to me as the final destination. Thom Filicia created a stunning stairway that is the perfect segue into the attic space (my favorite attic inspiration space!).


Supposing we have too many children for our 1200 sq. ft house then our attic may have to closely resemble the layout of the above... let's hope that's not the case!


No comments:

Post a Comment